Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Update: 12/17/2008

I have been inactive for quite some time here. I actually have about four or five drafts since my last post but I have never finished them. Now I will try to just present several thoughts in a quick hit form and hopefully be more active here at the end of the season.

  • We all know the playoff scenarios by now, basically if Miami wins the final two games at Kansas City and New York, then they win the division. If that doesn't happen then we probably aren't going to the playoffs. It sounds simple but it should be plenty difficult.
  • The Chiefs game is one I've looked at for several weeks with unease. It's never easy to go to Arrowhead and win no matter how poorly the Chiefs are playing. Also, I usually hate when this is said, but they are better than their record indicates. They have played some very tough games and should have more wins but they just don't. I hate playing teams like this. Hopefully the Dolphins come out strong and make me laugh at myself for having written this.
  • Pro Bowl Rosters were announced yesterday and the Dolphins inclusions and exclusions didn't surprise me. Joey Porter is a starter, that was obvious and is 100% legit. Ronnie Brown made it but it's questionable whether he should have got in over Steve Slaton. Ronnie is deserving and the sexiness of the wildcat, combined with the fact he is not a rookie probably got him the nod. I like Slaton and he will probably be making pro bowls soon enough. Brett Favre made it and there is really no argument as for why he should be there other than the fact that he is Brett Favre. This is like the MLB All Star game when lifetime stars make it on name recognition alone. I expected this but it doesn't make it any less of a travesty. Both Philip Rivers and Chad Pennington are having better years and have more of a direct influence on their teams success.
  • Since the New England game, the defense has not allowed a touchdown and has only allowed 24 total points in three games. I think the biggest reason why has been the defensive line. No one on that unit is putting up big numbers but there are two reasons why. One, in a 3-4 defense the line doesn't make a lot of plays, it is their job to free up linebackers to make plays. Two, we use a rotation in which five or six different guys each get a good amount of playing time, but too much. Randy Starks probably doesn't get enough credit. He's been good on third downs and several times have helped snuff out screen plays that had potential.
  • Earlier in the year writer Mike Florio wrote an article suggesting that it's time for the NFL to abandon the current four team division format and try something else. Both the AFC and NFC west division show why this is a good idea and I agree. In the AFC west, the Broncos lead with an 8-6 record and the Chargers are still alive with a 6-8 record. In the NFC, the Cardinals have already clinched with an 8-6 record. I'm not saying the eventual division winners aren't deserving, but the system is flawed when a team like San Diego might finish 8-8 in a bad division and get to the playoffs and a team like the Patriots, who could go 11-5 in a tougher division might be left out. I'm not sure what the solution would be but this needs to be explored. Maybe go to two divisions of eight teams each, I don't know.
More later

1 comment:

Unknown said...

New TG&T posts make David feel :)