Saturday, April 25, 2009

Draft Day

Well, it's here. It is NFL Draft Day. The party actually got started last night as you may well have heard by now, Matthew Stafford agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions and he is "The One." He gets nearly $42 million in guaranteed money and the full value of the six-year contract could reach $78 million after incentives. Here's a hint, it won't.

Anyway, it will be a strange draft day for me for two reasons. One, there will be no Miami Hurricanes drafted in the first round, day, and possibly entire draft. Usually, wondering where all the 'Canes would end up would keep me interested enough to watch 99% of the draft, but this year all I really get to care about are the Dolphins picks. This leads me to reason number two, Miami isn't picking in the top half of round one. That combined with the fact the draft now starts at 4:00 PM means there won't be much to wake me from a nap.

As for who I think the Dolphins should/will pick? Wide receiver and cornerback are obviously the two biggest needs but there's reason to believe they won't take either position in round one. Parcells doesn't like to draft receivers high (so no Percy Harvin, get it?), he believes you can get them anywhere. Plucking Davone Bess last year from the undrafted free agents probably furthers this belief. As for corners, I don't feel there is a big gap between players you can get in round one and players available in rounds three or four.

The USC linebacking troika are all potential picks. I really like Rey Maualuga, who is a beast from the ILB spo. But he seems the least likely to become a Dolphin because he will go earlier (Please move up and get him). Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are possibilities but I'm not too keen on them. Both remind me of Channing Crowder (solid, but not many superlatives). We already have a Channing.

The last little category of guys who could be taken are the hybrid DE/OLB pass rushers. I'd love Everette Brown from FSU, but he'll be gone (Wouldn't mind moving up for him either). All the other names I've heard (Clint Sintim, Larry English, Aaron Maybin, Robert Ayers) seem good but may be a bit of a reach at #25. We maybe should gamble and hope one of them lasts to #44.

I'll have updates throughout the afternoon/evening depending on how the draft shakes out and maybe a post as soon as we acquire players.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would love to see the team go for Maualuga or Harvin - or trade a few picks for Boldin. But I live in reality, where these things don't happen.