Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Possible First Overall Pick - Jake Long (OT, Michigan)

This piece is about Jake Long, who I believe is the third most likely player to be selected by the Miami Dolphins with the first pick of the 2008 NFL Draft.

(image courtesy of athlonsports.com)

Why He Might Be Chosen

Offensive Linemen are a pretty good bet in the top of the draft. Their have been far fewer busts from those positions than the skill positions. The Dolphins offensive line was pretty good last year and at times played real well. The addition of a solid tackle would further solidify this area and our men up front would be very promising.

Also, it would be much cheaper than selecting a skill position player. If we choose a QB, WR, etc. we will be dishing out a lot of guaranteed money on a player who could either be a supserstar or total dud. Last year, Joe Thomas, the stud OT drafted third overall got a five year deal for $42 million. The second overall pick, WR Calvin Johnson, got a six year deal for $55 million. We could save a lot of our cap space by choosing an offensive linemen.

Why He Might Not Be Chosen

The offensive tackle position is pretty deep in this draft. Just behind Jake Long there are other great options including Ryan Clady, Sam Baker, and Jeff Otah just to name a few. If Jake Long isn't significantly better than the rest, then why select him number one? We have the 32nd, 56th, and 64th selections as well, and if OT is a big need, we can find great value in the second and third rounds.

Drafting offensive linemen isn't exactly popular among average fans. The smart football minded fans (I'd like to consider myself one of those) realizes that these players are very crucial to having success on the offensive side of the ball. But, if he is selected and the team continues to really struggle, there is a good chance there will be a public outcry when some of the skill position players that we passed on are putting up great numbers. Now I don't think Parcells and Company really care about the public opinion, but they also know what it will be, and they may want to avoid it

Overall Thoughts

I'd be content with this selection. I wouldn't be too thrilled but I would understand how this can really help the team. If you asked me what side of the ball we should draft number one, I'd say defense. If you told me it had to be offense, I'd probably take a skill position player. I think it'd be better for us to look for an OT in the second or third round, like discussed earlier.

If he is selected, there will be an interesting decision that needs to be made. Vernon Carey was moved to LT last year and I thought he did pretty well. With one full year under his belt I think he could do even better. Jake Long, however, plays LT and plays it damn well himself. Would they move Carey back to RT or would they make the rookie do it? In my opinion I'd start off with Carey at LT and Long at RT. Jake Long was an excellent run blocker, but if there is any weakness in his game it is facing speed pass rushers like Vernon Gholston. I'd move him to the right and rely more on his biggest strength rather than his minor weakness.

No comments: