Friday, October 24, 2008

Week Eight: Emptying the Cabinet

Q&A

I sent some questions earlier in the week to the folks at Buffalo Rumblings and Brian Galliford was kind enough to give me some answers and a Bills perspective.

1. What were the Bills fans' expectations coming into the season and how have they changed due to the impressive 5-1 start?

My expectations, honestly, were a playoff berth - but I've had that same expectations for years and have been let down over and over again. Yes, my expectations have changed after this start, mostly because of the play of Trent Edwards. 12-4 isn't out of the question for this team at this point, especially if we're able to do well within the division; a 12-4 record puts us near the top of not just the AFC, but the league. Lot of football left to be played, though.
2. What is the top area of the team that is improved from last year?
By leaps and bounds, quarterback play. We had consistency at the position in 2006 with J.P. Losman at the helm, but he regressed badly last season, and the Bills ended up switching between Losman and Edwards several times. This is now unequivocally Edwards' team, and it shows up on and off the field. Edwards has this team believing that the sky's the limit; I'm not sure they had the same feelings with Losman at the helm. Edwards could stand to throw a few more touchdowns, but for now, we'll take his leadership, poise and 70% completion rate.
3. What should the Dolphins and their fans be most worried about for this Sunday's match up?
I'd say stopping Lee Evans. Miami's secondary has been an otherwise tough team's downfall, and Evans has destroyed the Dolphins in the past. Most recently, he had two grabs for two scores in a 38-17 win last season at Ralph Wilson Stadium. I'm not sure I'm particularly confident in Will Allen's ability to stop Evans if I'm a Dolphins fan or coach, and the extra defender leaves Buffalo's secondary options open. The Bills have five players with at least 17 receptions on the season, including their two running backs, Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson.
4. What scenarios do you think would have to happen to lead to a Bills letdown and a Miami win?
Stick to the basics - control the clock and win the turnover battle. Knocking Edwards around clearly wouldn't hurt, either. But these are generally areas in which the Bills excel. The Dolphins are a tough, underrated team that have caught some tough breaks, but I still think the Bills are going to win this one. It's going to be interesting, though - a 1-15 Dolphins team took us to the wire in Miami last season. Should be a fun one!
Injuries

I'll probably check this out again when the Friday injury report is released and update this section but for now it doesn't look like starting nose tackle Jason Ferguson will play. He hasn't practiced this week and it looks like Paul Soliai and Randy Starks will have to pick up the slack at that position. Cornerback Michael Lehan also tweaked his hamstring and may not be able to play. If he can't go it would leave our secondary situation even thinner than it already is. Both Jason Allen and Tyrone Culver could get significant action for the first time this season. Blessing in disguise, perhaps?

LOLphins

This will become a regular feature but I'll introduce it now by resurrecting a moment from last years game that set back offensive football.



Prediction

I'll probably regret this but as you saw in my picks, I have instilled my faith in the Dolphins. It's actually more about superstition than it is actually having belief in the team. I usually pick them to lose, so I tried to mix it up this week. We'll see how that works out. Also of note, Chris Mortenson continues to pick us, and the always trusty Madden simulation has us cruising to an easy victory. Fantasy is fun. Enjoy the game.

1 comment:

JM Van Horn said...

Nice work on the write up. Being a Dolphin homer too, I have to say I like them this weekend versus the Bills. Just wished I could watch the game.